Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Generation 5 Pickles"


It is a family tradition: at the end of the summer it was time to make pickles.  Noah had a "Harvest Fair" at his school where all the kids were asked to bring in something they grew or made.  Noah decided he would become the 5th generation family pickle maker.  It started we think with his great great grandparents Mindy and David Zinkerman.  Then his great grandparents (or at least Uncle Albert?), then Nanny taught David, who taught Kathy, and now Noah.  We even gave them a name: Generation 5 Pickles.  Want to see pickles made?
Just getting started.  This is mean business!

Get the cucumbers ready

Light sabers?  Race cars?

Peal the garlic.  Stinky!!

Cucumbers in the jar.

Secret spice.  Very serious work.

Thanks for helping mom.

Fresh dill.

Fill 'em up.

Close em up.

Admire your work.

Pretty proud


Can't wait to try one.
Noah named his pickle brand "Generation 5" pickles.  Mommy made labels for the jars, and they were a hit on the holidays, at school and at home.  Put your orders in early next year.  $14.95 a jar.

The front label says:
"GENERATION 5 PICKLES:
Packed full of history
FIlled with secret ingredients
Bottled with Love"

And the back label says:
"These pickles are a family recipe that started with my Nanny's grandparents.  My Nanny and my Daddy have been making them every fall for many years.  This year it is my turn.
With my daddy's help, I learned the secret ingredients and did every step myself.  This year's batch was handmade by my daddy and me.  I am 5 years old and a 5th generation pickle maker.  That is where I came up with the name.  -Noah Porter, Pickle Maker."




No comments:

Post a Comment